Become a New York Insurance Adjuster
Licensing Rules and Online State Exam Prep for New York Claims Adjusters
AdjusterPro's Bottom-line: New York requires resident and non-resident applicants to be bonded and to pass the New York adjuster exam specific to their line of insurance. Choose from our catalog of Online NY Exam Prep programs to help you study for this exam.
New York is not reciprocal with any other state for licensing adjusters. This is a two-year license, for which there is no continuing education requirement.
Adjuster License Requirements
To become a licensed New York insurance adjuster, individuals must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Never have committed a felony or any crime involving fraudulent or dishonest practices. If applicant has committed such crimes, he or she must obtain a certificate of good conduct from the Board of Parole before applying for this license.
- Provide a $1,000 bond to cover the licensing period.
- Take and pass the New York adjuster exam within two years prior to application.
- Submit application form with the following:
- Application fee.
- If resident, proof of MorphoTrust (previously known as L-1 fingerprinting) (www.L1enrollment.com) Fingerprint card. See below for more details.
- Five (5) Certificates of Character for each licensee or each sub-licensee. The Certificates of Character must be executed the same date or AFTER the execution date of the application to which they are attached.
- Proof of required filing of a partnership, corporation, company, or trade name. You may request approval of name by mailing or emailing a list of your chosen names to the Department of Insurance, Licensing Bureau.
- NOTE: New York counts as a "resident" anyone who maintains a resident or business address in New York. A "non-resident" is anyone who has neither a resident address nor a business address in New York.
Adjuster Exam Preparation
AdjusterPro offers full-preparedness exam study packages specifically for New York. Select from any of the packages (above-right) and take your New York adjuster exam with absolute confidence you'll pass the first time.
Adjuster Exam Registration
As of Sept. 7, 2013 schedule your New York exam online with Prometric or by calling 1-800-324-7147.
Refer to the New York Insurance Candidate Handbook for detailed examination and application instructions.
New York License Application
- Complete the New York State Exam administered by Prometric.
- Wait a week after completing the exam (to allow for your score to be processed) and then submit your application.
- Submit your application and the required fees and forms listed above.
- In the case of a catastrophe, the New York Insurance Department will issue a Temporary Adjuster Permit if requested by an authorized insurer.
- Fingerprinting: applicants with an address in New York State must be electronically fingerprinted by MorphoTrust (previously known as L-1 Identity Solutions).
- Contact MorphoTrust at (877) 472-6915 or www.L1ID.com.
- Download and complete the Request for NYS Electronic Fingerprinting Services and submit it to L-1 at the time of being electronically fingerprinted.
- If you do not have an address in New York State and you cannot go to a MorphoTrust (L-1 Fingerprinting) location in New York, submit the following to the Department:
- Completed fingerprint card;
- NYS Request for Card-Scan Services (Form NYSIDCSFP); Without this form your application will be rejected.
- Fingerprint fee of $85.75 (make check payable to L-1 Enrollment).
New York is not reciprocal with any state. To become a licensed adjuster in New York you must take a state exam.
Maintaining Your License
- No Continuing Education is required.
- License is valid for two years. It will expire on December 31 in each even-numbered year. Renew your license online here.
- Report changes to your address online here.
- Exam Fee: $49
- Licensing fee: $100 for the first year, $50 for the second.
- Fingerprinting fee: $85.75
- Make your application fee check payable to “Superintendent of Financial Services”
Contact the New York Department of Insurance
Licensing Bureau, One Commerce Plaza, Albany NY 12257
Phone: (518) 474-6630, Fax: (518) 474-5048, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pass the New York Exam the 1st Time!
AdjusterPro takes the anxiety out of your state exam by delivering a turn-key New York-specific online study program for each of the following license types:
- New York Accident & Health Adjuster
- New York Independent General Adjuster
Adjuster Licensing Guide
Get started by selecting your state for State Licensing Requirements, Reciprocity, Exam Study Guides and Agency Contact Information.
This information was obtained via a 2010 state by state survey and was based upon the best information available. Please be sure to verify the accuracy individually per state statutes.