Become a Connecticut Insurance Adjuster

Licensing Rules for Connecticut Claims Adjusters

AdjusterPro's Bottom-line: Connecticut residents can obtain their license by passing the Connecticut adjuster exam. Connecticut grants reciprocity to all other licensing states except for New York. New York residents with a New York adjuster license must take the Connecticut licensing exam in order to obtain the Connecticut adjuster license.

Adjuster License Requirements

To become a licensed Connecticut insurance adjuster, individuals must:

  • Be 18 years of age or more.
  • Be of good moral character.

NOTE: Connecticut defines a Casualty Claims Adjuster as, “Any person who or which acts as an adjuster of insurance claims, other than life, accident and health, and fire and extended in the general practice of law are exempted.”

NOTE: Connecticut defines an Adjuster as, "A person who investigates, negotiates and settles losses for an insurance carrier. They must establish the how, when, where and why during the investigation of the insured’s claim. They represent the insurance company and acting for the company in working on agreements as to the amount of a loss and the liability of the company in same. They must establish the worth and value of the claim in the evaluation and, ultimately, they must authorize payment, negotiate an agreement or reject the claim."

Adjuster Exam Preparation

AdjusterPro offers full-preparedness exam study packages specifically for Connecticut

Adjuster Exam Registration

Schedule your Prometric exam online.

Refer to the Connecticut Exam Content Outlines for detailed information on the exam.

Connecticut License Application

  • Complete the Online Application for Casualty Claim Adjuster License;

  • Submit an original CT exam report from Prometric showing a passing grade OR evidence of equivalent license in another state;
    • New York licensees: If you hold a license in New York only and wish to become licensed in Connecticut, you must complete the Connecticut exam.
  • Licensing fee of $130;

  • If a resident of Connecticut, you must also submit the Certification/Clearance Letter Request Form.

Connecticut – Catastrophe Adjuster Registration (Effective 6/18/14)

  • The CT Insurance Department institutes new online tool for insurance companies to expedite catastrophe adjuster registration.

  • You can access this online tool online here.


Connecticut grants reciprocal licensing privileges to anyone holding an adjuster license - be it a resident or a non-resident license - in any state except New York. Those who hold only a New York license will need to complete the CT exam in order to obtain a license in CT.

Maintaining Your License

  • Adjusters are not required to complete any Continuing Education.

  • This is a two-year license that expires June 30 of odd-numbered years. A renewal fee of $80 applies.

  • Online renewal is not available to adjusters. To renew your license, fill out and submit the paper renewal form that will be mailed to you prior to the expiration of your license.

  • Refer to the licensing information page for more information regarding license renewal, as well as the adjuster renewal FAQ page.

  • To change information on your license electronically, click here.

License Fees

  • Initial Licensing and Application Fee: $130 (payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut)
  • License Renewal Fee: $80 (payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut)

Contact the Connecticut Department of Insurance

Connecticut Insurance Department, Licensing Division, PO Box 816, Hartford, Connecticut 06142 (Overnight mail: 153 Market Street, 7th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103)

Phone: (860) 297-3849, Fax: (860) 566-3978

Email: or

Adjuster Licensing Guide

Get started by selecting your state for State Licensing Requirements, Reciprocity, Exam Study Guides and Agency Contact Information.


Washington Oregon California Nevada Utah Arizona Idaho Montana Wyoming Colorado New Mexico Texas North Dakota South Dakota Nebraska Kansas Oklahoma Minnesota Iowa Missouri Arkansas Louisana Mississipi Wisconsin Illinois Michigan Indiana Kentucky Tennessee Ohio New York Vermont New Hampshire Massachusetts Rhode Island New York Connecticut New Jersey Delaware Maryland Maine Florida Alabama Georgia South Carolina North Carolina Pennsylvania West Virginia Virginia Alaska Hawaii

This information was obtained via a 2014 state by state survey and was based upon the best information available. Please be sure to verify the accuracy individually per state statutes.