Become a California Insurance Adjuster
Licensing Rules and Online State Exam Prep for California Claims Adjusters
AdjusterPro's Bottom-line: Resident and non-resident adjuster license applicants must be bonded, establish a California business address, and have 2 years (4,000 hours) of compensated time in the adjusting field. California's Department of Insurance epitomizes a bureaucracy with plenty of hoops to jump through and steep license filing fees.
Adjuster License Requirements
To become a licensed independent California insurance adjuster, individuals must:
- Be 18 years of age or more.
- Establish a California business address.
- Have two years certified experience in the insurance adjusting field, 2,000 hours of compensated time in the adjusting field is equal to one year of experience.
- $2,000 Insurance Adjuster Bond.
- Pass a written exam administered by the Department of Insurance.
Adjuster Exam Preparation
AdjusterPro offers full-preparedness exam study packages specifically for California. Select from any of the packages (above-right) and take the CA exam with absolute confidence you'll pass the first time.
Adjuster Exam Registration
Schedule your exam online with PSI.
For more information on the exam, take a look at the candidate handbook.
California License Application
Individuals seeking licensure must submit:
- Application for Individual Adjuster License Form LIC 041-A
- Bond of Insurance Adjuster Form LIC 31A-14
- Fee of $284.00 (license fee of $227.00 and application fee of $57.00)
- Fingerprint impressions. For details, fees and instructions Click here.
- For more information on the licensing process visit California's adjuster licensing requirements.
- Check the status of your license here.
California's licensing procedure does not account for licenses in other states.
Maintaining Your License
Once issued, the California adjuster license will expire on May 31st of the next even-numbered year.:
- 24 hours of Continuing Education are required every two years.
- California department of Insurance now sends licensees email renewal notifications to their email address on record. The email notification includes the license number, license term, license type, and information regarding any continuing education requirements. You can update your e-mail address using CDI's Online Address Change service.
- License Filing: $213. The license is issued for a 2 year term and expires on May 31st of each even-numbered year.
- Application: $54. This fee will be charged when the first examination is scheduled using PSI exam scheduling service. Do NOT include application fee with the license filing fee when you submit your adjuster license application.
- Exam fee: $84 (Retake Fee: $52)
- Fingerprint processing fee: varies based on location. Click here for more info.
Contact the California Department of Insurance
Phone: (800) 967-9331 or (916) 322-3555, Email: only through Producer Licensing Bureau website (click here)
Producer Licensing Bureau Mailing Addresses:
For correspondence pertaining to insurance producer licensing:
California Dept. of Insurance, Producer Licensing Bureau, 320 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
When mailing resident documents (application, etc), with applicable fees:
California Dept. of Insurance, Producer Licensing Bureau, PO Box 1139, Sacramento, CA 95812
When mailing non-resident documents (application, etc), with applicable fees:
California Dept. of Insurance, Producer Licensing Bureau, PO Box 1437, Sacramento, CA 95812
Pass the California Exam the 1st Time!
AdjusterPro takes the anxiety out of your state exam by delivering a turn-key California-specific online study program for each of the following license types:
- California Independent Adjuster
Adjuster Licensing Guide
Get started by selecting your state for State Licensing Requirements, Reciprocity, Exam Study Guides and Agency Contact Information.
This information was obtained via a 2010 state by state survey and was based upon the best information available. Please be sure to verify the accuracy individually per state statutes.